|The oldest historical mention about Crampas
was in the year 1482 - Waldemar of Putbus sold a court
in Crampas to the brotherhood of Kalands in Stralsund.
The oldest historical mention about Sassnitz was in the year 1584 - magister Rhenau, rector and salt-earl from Hessen
visited Sassnitz for searching mineral springs and metal veins.
|In 1824 the famous
theologian Friedrich Schleiermacher from Berlin sent his wife
and children for a longer time to Sassnitz ( this year becomes
the year of birth of Sassnitz as spa).
|In 1876 Johannes Brahms spent a longer
time in Sassnitz - here ho composed the last movement of his
1st symphony c minor.
|In 1880 the construction
of the St.-Johannis-Church began on a hill between Sassnitz
and Crampas by plans of the municipal council of Gerstenberg
and Berlin. The consecration took place three years later.
|In 1889 the construction of the east-mole
and there with the structure of a protection harbour began.
The final finishing of the construction of the mole was in the
year 1912 with a total length of 1,450 metres.
|1890 was the "year
of emperor" for Sassnitz. The german empress Auguste Victoria
stayed together with her princes for a longer time in summer
in the villa "Martha". The speech of welcome has been
taken by the chief forester Kreysern as office manager of the
|In 1891 the railway line between Bergen
and Sassnitz has been finished and has been put into operation.
The building of the railway station takes place in the village
Crampas and bears the inscription Crampas-Sassnitz.
|In 1896 the first
power station was originated in the east part of Crampas, which
also supplied the village Sassnitz with electric power. One
year later Sassnitz got an institution of telecommunication
and long-distance-calls, and the first customs house.
|At the first of May in 1897 a post-steamer-line
between the harbours Sassnitz and Trelleborg has been opened.
From Germany there traveled the steamer "Imperator"
and from Sweden there was the steamer "Rex".
|In 1901 the formation
of the hotel section at the promenade has been finished with
the construction of the hotels "Fürstenhof",
"Am Meer" and "Seeschloß" (later "Wiener
|1906 has been an historical year. At
the first of April the communities Crampas and Sassnitz has
been united to one community named "Sassnitz". The
number of inhabitants at all counted 1,843, from them there
were only 482 once from Sassnitz.
|At the 6th of July in 1909 the "steam ferry line for railways" between Sassnitz
and swedish Trelleborg has been opened an the base of a state
treaty by presence of both monarches of the states. The railway
carriages can be transported by ship directly.
|In 1910 the spa and the village hall
for the citizens of the united community Sassnitz, which has
been outlined by the architect Gustav Bähr from Berlin,
has been opened (town hall of the present time).
|In 1917 W.I.Lenin
came from Switzerland and went to Petersburg by the ferry-line
|In 1945, in the night from 6th of 7th
of march, there were a lot of destructions because of an Anglo-American
bombardment : 28 residential buildings has been destructed totally,
62 once has been damaged weighty and 103 once has been damaged
easily. Also the mole and the port facilities has been hit extremly.
136 inhabitants and more than 700 émigrés dies
by this bombardment. At the 4th of May Sassnitz has been occupied
by the red army at 6 o'clock pm. The number of inhabitants counted
|At the 10th of October in 1948 the ferry line has been started again by the swedish
ferry "König Gustav 5.", which has been interrupted
up to this moment.
|In the years 1947 and 1948 there
was a short re vive of the spa-management.
|After 1949 Sassnitz
got more and more an industrial character, which has been supported
by the extension of the fish-economy, the chalk-walking and
of course by the development of the ferry lines since the end
of the fifties. Since 1950 up today there has been constructed
6 new living districts, mainly in the west part of Sassnitz-Dwasieden